Saturday 9 July 2011

2 For 1 Fajitas


It’s around 7.30am on a drizzling Monday (5 July) in the heart of Brighton; its restaurants are clearing up from American Independence Day celebrations, and setting up for the day in a mock-European way. I’m trundling through, aiming to catch the express train to London Victoria. I also happen to be trailing, unintentionally, an obese couple in their 50s wearing matching khaki suits, plastic cagoules and hoods pulled tightly around their fat faces. They suddenly stop and plant themselves up against the window of a restaurant. Bearing in mind its just gone 7.30am they begin to salivate over a 2 for 1 spicy chicken fajita meal deal. They agree, with some enthusiasm, to come back later and buy a “deal” each, in other words pulverise 2 fajitas each. On closer examination they both have pastry crumbs sprinkled over their cagoules and lips. I suppose obese people plan their day’s binges like a junkie plans their day’s fixes. Feeling relatively healthy in front of these behemoths I squeeze my way through them and continue my march to the train station.

No comments:

Post a Comment