Tuesday 12 July 2011

Alexei Sayle In Nice


There are better beaches in the world than those found in Nice on the Cote D’Azur, but it’s just not the quality of the sea, make no mistake though, the sea in Nice is perfectly fine, just not crystal clear. What Nice does provide though is a multitude of comical characters waiting to be observed from a distance, and yes, to be spied on.

Today (15 July) was my last day of being single but I did little to celebrate, I simply decided to hop from one beach to the next, starting at the Plage Publique de Beau Rivage and ending back at the same stretch, each beach becoming an adventure in itself and in doing so becoming my way of fighting monotony and boredom.

It was no surprise to find the beach overcrowded by midday and the heat was fierce and populated mainly by Italians, to be more precise, Italian families overeating, smoking to excess, singing entire operas and cheering their gymnastic bambinos. There was however one particular scene that stood out. From the corner of a sweat-drenched eye I caught sight of Alexei Sayle. He was incarnated into the body of a short, fat Italian man, wearing shrunken black Lycra swimming trunks with a belly that was a little more gross than mine. Fatness aside he stood proudly in front of his audience impersonating well-known Italian celebrities, at times I even detected a slight Scouse accent. He must have been pretty good because every impression was greeted with rip-roaring belly laughs. The fact that he was the dead ringer for Alexei Sayle (Alexei Sayle, circa, The Young Ones) was good enough for me. The fact that I was comforted by the thought that I was no longer the fattest bastard on the beach was also good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment