Wednesday 13 July 2011

Mamma Mia - What A Gob


Earlier today I took advantage of being single for the day and cut a return trip to Cannes, Cote D’Azur for the day (17 May). It was spectacularly hot and humid and the temperature on the train was stifling though I felt strangely exhilarated, perhaps it was the human closeness.

I found Cannes oddly lacking in soul and more bizarrely lacking in boulangeries. I marched for over an hour, getting my bearings, eventually returning to a small boulangerie right opposite the station; here I bought my petit dejeuner before heading to the beach.

The sea was calm and some sand was visible amongst the throngs that littered the beach. Soon found a reasonable spot, quickly made unreasonable by an invading extended Italian family dominated by a dark, hairy woman. She had amongst others, for company, 3 unruly children, ages ranged from 6 months to 3 years (one a year by my reckoning) and who typified everything I dislike about young children: loud, rude & spoilt. Her husband joined the outing then immediately complained about the lack of space. To my relief I spotted another gap on the beach and quickly moved in though I was still close enough to hear Gina (the man continually referred to her as “Gina”, unless Gina is Italian for dark and hairy, which I doubt) moan constantly for the next 3 hours, she barely paused for breath. She was getting more and more irate. Had she caught her husband with another woman? (She was so mad perhaps it was another man?). Several people close by started wrapping up their mats and moving away, eventually her defeated husband moved away, leaving a demented woman to continue yapping away at her deranged offspring.

No comments:

Post a Comment